Friday, July 9, 2010

Day 5,6,7 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday) We camped at a smaller campground called Lizard Lake in the Grand Teatons just outside the south enterence of Yellowstone. This is dry camping, so no electricity (but they did have flushing toilets ----yeahhhhh). We got a beautiful site nestled between alot of tent campers (we could stay in the most beautiful area due to Bee Bee being only 16' over the bigger rigs - in this case small size does matter). On Monday, we visited the West Thumb Geyser Basin in Yellowstone on our wayin from Cody, the hot sulfer steam and bubbling clear blue pools of boiling water were out of this world - it really is amazing. We set up camp and had the last of the Cassarole meals that I packed - Lasagna, with a bag of salad and ranch dressing that we picked up on the road, then we all hopped into bed. On Tuesday, we had a lazy morning, I made oatmeal and everyone enjoyed the hot meal (except Gabby - who was threatened with the take away of her Twilight book and no more EDWARD, before she ate her required 1/2 of the bowl), then we loaded into the truck and went to see Old Faithful, the area was packed and I got a great parking spot by luck, right by Old Faithful, we were all held back from the viewing area due to 2 buffalo eating close to the viewing boardwalk (got some great pics) and when they finally mosied away we wound up with front row bench seats for the big show (but had to wait a whole 15 mins. - which was tourture for the kids - Alex had to have his Transformer taken away for the rest of the day because he said a "bad" word in his excitement to see the big show), when she erupted it was spectacular, the mist hit all of us in a fine spreay and the height of the eruptions was amazing. We then went for a walk around Old Faithful and saw more beautiful smaller and very colorful gysers throughout the area; we then drove to the Paint Pots of Yellowstone about 20 mins. from Old Faithful and saw boiling milky bowls of hot minerals that were very neat too. When we got back to camp, I took the kids for a walk (and we saw a fox) along the black sand beach of Lizard Lake and they had a blast making sand castles (John was not feeling great so he stayed behind and got a much needed rest and good nights sleep), the kids and I downed some cheese brots and Pringles for dinner and hit the hay too. Wednesday, we drove to Jenny Lake in the Grand Teatons and took a shuttle boat to the other side of the lake to do a little hiking, we had planned on doing a 2 mile hike to see Hidden Falls and Inspiration Point and wound up doing about 6 miles into Cascade Canyon in search of seeing a Moose that was saposta be just 20 min. down the trail - which wound up to be a nice 4 hour hike. On the way up Gabby was not the happy camper climbing up the hill and comming back I was the last in line and not the happy camper with all the steps down. But we were rewarded by seeing a big bull moose lying down and a baby moose walking in a meadow and right before we got back to the shuttle boat, we saw another huge Bull Moose about 15 yards away from us eating some of the Trail edge Tree Leaves (I got a great pic). My hiking savior was a hiking stick that I bought as a last thought because Gabby must visit every gift shop we see and I finaly buckeled in and got a hat, t-shirt and the wonderful, magnificant, life saving walking stick. We also had some great views of the mountains, waterfalls, and the panaramic overview of Jenny Lake. We also saw a little Piker and John saw a marmacet (I saw the tail). We ended the day with a picnik dinner by Jackson Lake, then we headed back to the campsite for a campfire, coctails and the making of S'mores; while roasting the Marshmellos for the S'mores, we had a visitor a small Grizzly Bear walked by our campsite and John and I watched him closly to make sure he did not turn our way (with marshmallows and chocolate in our hands) luckily he took one look and us and continued on his way toward the beach ----- it was a very neat experiance and glad it was very uneventful.

Day 8 - Thursday, we packed up early and flopped the kids in the Truck, while we hooked up and were on the road by 7:30 towards our destination of the day, Terry Bison Ranch in Chyanne Wyoming. We drove through some of the prettiest Red Rock formations and saw boatloads of free range cattle mixed with antalope on our way. Once we got to the campground after 9.5 hours, we kept her hitched up and just stabalized to get dinner going - brats and bake beans. After we ate we all enjoyed a hot shower then John and the kids watched a Cinderrella DVD while I played freecell and hearts.

Day 9 - Friday, we are planning on visiting the Cowboy museum in Chyanne and then find a place in Nebraska to camp for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment